Total Pageviews

Monday, September 12, 2011

Library to Reflections Rescue!

Imagine the dismay I felt as I watched my computer screen go blank. It happened last Wednesday as I attempted to do my online search for freelance writing possibilities.  My heart sank and I began to feel nauseated.  I am not exaggerating!  So many times I have wanted to jump start my writing endeavors only to be thwarted by obstacles both real and imagined.  This time, my excuse for not writing seemed valid.  I tried for the next two days to restart my computer.  A few times it looked like I might actually be successful.  However, with my very limited knowledge of computer operations, it was only a matter of time before I came to the conclusion that professional intervention would be necessary.

As any beginner writer can attest, the funds for computer emergency care are not always available. Not willing to panic, I immediately began to formulate an alternate plan.  The best I could think of was our local library. I excitedly informed the children that we would go to the library on Saturday so Mommy could use the computer for her blog.  My six-year-old, who already shows signs of becoming a computer genius, was excited about the prospect of having his own brand of fun with the library computers.  My nine-year-old excitedly planned for checking out a few "chapter" books.  I'm sure that the four-year-old began scheming ways to annoy the other two by running around the small library and  jumping off the step stool in the children's section.  We were all set to go.  Until....

Everyone has heard about the budget cuts that required libraries everywhere to cut their hours of operation.  When we arrived at the small Smyrna library, the lights were out and nobody was home.  In disbelief, I double checked the hours. This wonderful, small library is only open Monday through Wednesday from 10 A.M.- 6 P.M, Thursday from 11 A.M. - 6 P.M. and CLOSED on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  Of course, I could go to the larger branch library located at Village Green.  However, this Mom loves the small, intimate location where she can see her children wherever they are.  Containment of these three busy kiddos is a main concern, especially when I need to use the computer to write. 

So now I just had the "10 minute warning" pop up on the computer which limits my time.  However, I am extremely grateful for this opportunity to continue my blog.  So I will continue to do whatever it takes to keep this blog alive and well.  Next time you pass a library, please remember how wonderful these places are.  They are meccas for learning, time capsules of resources, and places of refuge when Moms like myself have computer glitches.  Have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment