Total Pageviews

Monday, September 19, 2011

Curious George in the Big City

On Monday, September 12, I took Sebastien to the Library to select a book.  After I got home, I looked at the cover of the Curious George in the Big City book.  In amazement I saw that the illustration depicted the iconic monkey in front of the Twin Towers. Curiosity lead me to the inside cover where I located the copyright date.  It was 2001.  The book was all about how George went into New York City with the man in the yellow hat to do some Christmas shopping.  The illustrations were fascinating and beautiful.  How could the publishers possibly have predicted the significance of this publication for the Holidays prior to 9/11?   As I read this story to my son, I remembered the events that unfolded that fateful day ten years ago.  The skyline will never again be the same.  Movies and Book Illustrations with the Twin Towers will forever memorialize the loss and tragedy of that day.  And I find myself responsible for helping my children understand the historic significance and impact of the day our Country was forever altered.  If you wish to locate this book, here is the information that may be helpful:

Title:  Curious George in the Big City
By:     Margaret and H.A.Ray
Illustrated in the style of H.A.Ray by Margaret Weston
Houghton Mifflin Company  Boston
Copyright 2001

Recommended for: All Ages

No comments:

Post a Comment