Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Blessed - Patience Rewarded

Patience is one of the greatest challenges I face.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.  I struggle with this on a daily basis.  I wish things happened with a little less drama.  I would love to go an entire day without feeling like a drill sergeant with my children.  And I really want to be more tolerant of individuals who refuse to put on their turn signals, cut me off in the parking lot, or insist on smoking near the open door to the laundromat where my just cleaned clothes risk absorbing some of that lovely aroma.  (All three of my children have asthma, so I am especially impatient with running through the gauntlet of smoke.)

Patience is often in short supply.  I have searched high and low to find a warehouse that provides extra, bargain-sized helpings of this commodity.  Alas....there is none to be found.  I even have a hard time finding it at church, if you can believe that.   (My children are known to pick this particular time of the week to test the limits of my motherly love.)  The one place I thought I could regain a little of my love for humanity and revitalize my tired spirit is often the source of further aggravation as my children continuously ask, "Is it almost time to go?  Is mass almost over?  How much longer Mommy?"   I know this stage won't last forever, so I continue to go, pray, and hope life will become a little more relaxed if I keep trying.

Patience.  I search for it, hope for it, and long for it like a person who is directionally challenged dreams of a state of the art Global Positioning System for a long road trip.  (I am actually quite directionally challenged and fond of Map Quest and similar resources.)  So imagine my surprise when I checked my bank account this morning and found that my former employer had indeed decided to pay my vacation time!  I had a great conversation with the owner a couple of weeks ago, and was relieved to clear the air regarding the miscommunication surrounding my vacation pay.  (See three previous blog entries if you missed them.)  I was informed that they had decided to pay my vacation time, but until I saw it posted I didn't want to get my hopes up.  I feel very blessed today. 

Sometimes when things go wrong, it's easy to lose heart and feel discouraged.  It's hard not to take things personally when someone let's you down.  But I am very grateful that I had the conversation with my former employer and maintained professionalism and respect. I still miss the children and colleagues with whom I worked, and hope to maintain contact with them.  It is easier to keep a door open than to rebuild a bridge that had been burned.  It's easy to look for the bad things in life.  There's an abundance.  What is more rewarding is having faith that things will work out if you stay focused, have a kind spirit, and maintain a positive attitude. 

Today I am blessed and believe once again that patience is rewarded....in it's own time. (Not necessarily when you want it to happen.)

Wishing all of you many blessings and rewards for you patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment