Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Got Change in Your Pockets? Flip A Coin - Flip A Memory Switch

Sometimes I like to activate those memory files that haven't been reviewed for quite some time.  There is a simple and quick activity that instantly transports me back to a specific time, place, or event.  I might even recall people who have had an impact on my life, inspired me, or provided me with insights that ultimately helped me make decisions.  Some of the memories might be painful or leave me feeling a bit introspective, but overall the experience associated with this activity is one that brings a smile to my face and a warm feeling to my heart.  Today I will share this secret with you, so you too can add it to your arsenal of memory preservation skills.
 
 
Pocket Change
 
 
1.  Pick at least one time each week when you can dig out whatever coins you find in your purse, backpack, couch cushions, or car cup holder.  Look at the dates.
 
 2. Whenever you receive change back at the store, take a moment to look at it or at least hold on to it until you get back to the car.  Check out the dates.
 
3. If you go to the laundry mat with rolls of quarters, look at the dates before you place them into the machine.
  
4.  Same idea as #3 when you put coins into a snack or drink machine.
 
5. Check out coins before you hand them over to your children for school snacks or projects.
  
6. If you see a coin (even if it is a penny) lying on the ground, pick it up.  Look at the date.
 
7. Start a coin bank at home to collect all your loose change that you receive back at the store or find.  You'll be surprised how this adds up.  When you get ready to go to "Coin Star" to cash in your coins, take a moment to look through a few of the dates on the coins and take a memory trip.
 
 
Now...What to do with those Coins
 
1. Look at the dates.
 
2. Think about details from the year on each coin.
 
3. What were you doing that year?
 
4. Where were you?
 
5. How old were you?
 
6. What music did you listen to?
 
7. Who did you hang out with or meet?
 
8. Did any life changing event happen?  Marriage? Birth of a Child?
 
9. What was happening in the lives of people you care about?
 
10.Favorite moments?
 
 
I have found that after doing this memory activity a few times just for fun, it has now become a habit that I look forward to when I find a coin, go to the laundry mat, or sift through the change jar for quarters to give to my children.  Sometimes I will make comments to my husband or children about the year on a coin.  This gives us the opportunity to share a story or special moment.  It is also a great way to exercise our memories and enhance our ability to more quickly recall important information.
 
I'd love to hear your ideas regarding Memory Skills.

 
File:Assorted United States coins.jpg
Graphics attributed to the following link: