Total Pageviews

Monday, April 7, 2014

Things That Only I Can Do...April is Poetry Month

 
 Things That Only I Can Do
 
 
There are things that only I can do
as Mom in charge around here.
There are things that only I can do
let me make this perfectly clear.
 
Only I as Mom can change the roll
of toilet paper gone.
Only I retrieve the paper
that's been thrown upon the lawn.
 
It is I who wake each sleepy child
for school at start of day
with songs and hugs and kisses
though in bed they'd rather stay.

Only I as Mom will understand
the grumpy, sassy talk
and with firm yet loving voice respond
"Let's go or you shall walk."
  
There are things that only I can do
as Mom in charge around here.
There are things that only I can do
let me make this perfectly clear.
 
Only I as Mom will rinse the sink
of toothpaste, spit, and yuck.
Only I as Mom will wait for you
and help if you get stuck.

It is I who cuts the T-Shirt tags
because they itch and scratch.
Only I your Mom will cheer you on
when your socks and shoes don't match.
 
Only I as Mom can magically find
that special toy you lost.
Only I as Mom will tell you ,"NO".
and then explain the cost.

 There are things that only I can do
as Mom in charge around here.
There are things that only I can do
let me make this perfectly clear.

It is I who packs your lunches
and fills your bag with snacks.
Only I your Mom can understand
your tantrums and attacks.

Sometimes I want to run quite far
for just a moment of peace
A place where toilet paper rolls
will never have to cease.

A magic place where shoes and coats
just magically appear.
Where baths are drawn with bubbly warmth
and children want to hear.

Oh if I only I could have some time
 for stories, songs, and dance.
A place where children jump for joy
for homework - what's the chance?

There are things that only I can do
as Mom in charge around here.
There are things that only I can do
let me make this perfectly clear.

Oh...who am I now kidding?
Other people can do these things!
I am the one who chooses to
with all the Love it brings!