Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 4, 2014

More Ways to Sneak in Some Reading Time

 
Do you have a "tween" who is not always the most eager to carve out 15 minutes of reading time?  I found a solution to this dilemma last night as I was reading my Face Book posts.  There are many great inspirational quotes, humorous view points, and posts that tug at the heart strings.  I sometimes let out a spontaneous chuckle that often draws the attention of my children.
 
 
Last night my (almost) 9 year old son, Nathan, sat next to me and began reading the posts.  Together we discussed some of them, laughed at others, and worked through the more difficult words.  I realized that this reading was valuable too.  We spent time together.  We became informed on current issues.  We laughed together.  We read together...for more than 15 minutes.

 
Prior to the Face Book reading session I had tried unsuccessfully to have my 9 year old spend a few minutes on a favorite book. (He does read...but it has to be on his terms.)  My 6 year old and I did enjoy our planned reading time...see yesterday's post. So if your older children resist a planned reading time, perhaps a small amount of social media with mom or dad will not harm him or her.  Make sure your posts are child friendly by scrolling to the ones you know are appropriate.

 
I enjoyed reading with my son and I look forward to our family reading time this evening.  Who knows what we'll come up with next.  Hope you are beginning to enjoy your March Read Aloud Project.  I hope to hear from readers as you discover what works for you and what books you would like to recommend.
 
 
Books Recommended by Nathan
(almost Age 9)
Diary of a Wimpy Kid Series

Diary of a Wimpy Kid Collection 8 Books Set Third Wheel, Cabin Fever, Ugly Truth

Happy Tuesday!