Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Sleeping in the "Momma Nest"

My six year old is home from school again due to his battle with asthma.  Last night we went through three rounds of breathing treatments with the nebulizer to get his cough under control before bedtime.  I picked him up from school yesterday morning because the inhaler didn't do it's job.  So you can imagine how exhausted he was this morning when it came time to evaluate whether or not I would send him to school. 
 
Momma was also pretty tired.  I couldn't sleep last night because I kept listening for his breathing.  I ended up staying on the computer way too late and finally went to bed when I heard that his breathing was regular and he had no coughing spells.  So...after I took the other two children to school,  Sebastien and I settled in on the couch where I brought him breakfast and water. He took his medication for allergies and we hooked up the nebulizer again.
 
I allowed him to select a movie and then laid down on the couch with him.  Here's the best way my children like to cuddle when they are tired...in the "Momma Nest."  Most of my close friends and family know about this technique.  You may have done it yourself but either didn't have a label for it or called is something else.  (I'd love to hear from you if you have anther name for this.)
 
Momma Nest Protocol:  Lay down on your side with your legs curled up so that your knees are bent at an angle.  The space behind your knees is the "nest."  Your child can curl up in the nest and rest his or her head on your...ahem...tushy (aka the booty pillow).  Add a blanket and you are all set for both of you to take a nice, cozy nap.
 
I'm not sure who fell asleep first.   I vaguely recall hearing his movie start playing.  When I woke up my legs felt heavy and I really needed to move.  I remembered that Sebie was asleep in the "Momma Nest" and gently moved him over to a pillow pre-positioned on the couch.  He is still sleeping soundly, no wheezing, and very relaxed.  I feel pretty confident that he will go to school tomorrow morning.  Sometimes, the best medicine is a little extra time at home de-stressing from the exhaustion of asthma.
 
Asthma is a very challenging, chronic condition that requires a lot more maintenance than I ever imagined prior to having children.  Nobody is our family smokes and we make every effort to reduce exposure to allergens.  I'm a long way from the single person who enjoyed scented candles everywhere and containers filled with potpourri. Still, we cannot control all aspects of their environment.
 
When my babies need to be at home to get their breathing treatments, the "Momma Nest"  is part of their recovery.  And it also helps a tired  mom get a little nap too.  To learn more about asthma you might refer to the following resources.
(Disclaimer:  This site does not promote or advertise a particular treatment plan and is not responsible for individual interpretations of the information provided.  Writer encourages conversation with your individual health care providers regarding any information found in the following websites.)
 

CDC - Asthma - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

www.cdc.gov/asthmaDec 06, 2012 · Asthma is a disease that affects your lungs. It causes repeated episodes of wheezing, breathlessness, chest tightness, and nighttime or early morning coughing.

An overview of asthma symptoms, asthma diagnosis, asthma treatment and asthma management written and reviewed by the leading experts in allergy, asthma and …

Asthma Definition - Diseases and Conditions - Mayo Clinic

www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/asthma/basics/definition/...Asthma is a condition in which your airways narrow and swell and produce extra mucus. This can make breathing difficult and trigger coughing, wheezing and shortness ...

CDC - Asthma - Basic Information - Centers for Disease ...

www.cdc.gov/asthma/faqs.htm
Nov 21, 2013 · What Is Asthma? Asthma is a disease that affects your lungs. It is one of the most common long-term diseases of children, but adults can have asthma, too.