Total Pageviews

Monday, September 23, 2013

Holding Your Breath Again?

I just finished reading a book that had an impact on how I view my pursuit of writing.  The fact that I actually finished the book in less than one week is reason enough to elicit  an excited "hoorah!"  My primary reason for promoting this book is that it inspired me to consider two main concepts that I have a tendency to ignore.  I continue to dig deep to figure out exactly why I continue to struggle through familiar territory when I could have mastered the terrain long ago.  What are those areas?

1.  A return to a healthier life style - One I enjoyed from my early twenties to early thirties when I worked out on a daily basis, taught Aerobics and Fitness classes, and even earned my Personal Trainer Certification.

2. Writing for a living.  I have a file full of projects in progress.  What I need now is an Agent to help me through the process of publication.  I have several projects that are identified as needing to be pitched by someone in the loop.  Many publishers will not accept unsolicited manuscripts. 

So here is one source of inspiration that I found last week:

The book is title: Big Girl Panties by: Stephanie Evanovich copyright 2013. It is published by William Morrow - Harper Collins Publishing www.harpercollins.com (Found this at the library in the"Rapid Read" section. This means I had a 7 day limit on check out.)

The book chronicles significant life changes of a young woman, how she deals with the choices she faces, and the fears she encounters as she begins to see changes in herself.  These are concepts with which many of us can identify.  Myself included!  Too many times there is an element of fear when we are confronted with changes. Change is hard. Change is uncomfortable.  Change requires us to rethink our position in the world and bumps us out of our comfy yet sometimes miserable existence.  When faced with the possibility that change could lead to a happier state of mind, why do we often choose unhappiness instead?

"Big Girl Panties" provides insight into how challenging yet rewarding life can be when we deal with realities and make the effort to bring ourselves into healthier focus - both physically and emotionally.  The main character, Holly, is overweight and self conscious about her appearance. She uses food for comfort and emotional support. When she meets a personal trainer who offers assistance in helping her reach her goals, Holly embarked on a journey of self discovery.  She gains confidence in her ability to move beyond tragic life circumstances and learns to love herself for the amazing personality that defines "Holly." 

The author, Stephanie Evanovich, created believable characters through her descriptive writing.  As an aspiring fiction writer, I realized that I hold on too tight to my character's details.  I need to allow my characters to develop and allow the reader to feel their personalities.  Ms. Evanovich's book gave me permission in a way.  I also need to be honest in my reticence to write about my own work of fiction based on real life experiences.  So...It's time for me to let go and get on with the business of getting my book completed!

My words of wisdom for this Monday:
1.  Stop holding your breath and just breathe through whatever discomfort is going on in your life at the moment.  Fresh air is not only a luxury, it is a necessity if we hope to generate the type of energy required to deal with life changes.  Get out of the house and discover something new each day.  Today, for example, I saw that Pikes Peak had snow on the mountain top.  Just seeing how beautiful it looked on a cool yet sunny day was enough to provide a bit of encouragement.

2.  Get moving!  Yesterday I started walking again.  I took my three children to the park just in time to experience a torrential rainfall mixed with hail. We just waited a few minutes for it to pass, then got out of the car and completed a mini-workout.  Don't let anything get in the way of your progress!

3.  Read a book, talk to a friend, or keep posting positive and humorous words of inspiration.  Sharing the journey makes it all the more sweet.

Thanks for allowing me to share with you!  Have an Awesome Week!